In pioneer days, church groups met in homes and later in one-room schools. Revival meetings were held in the Baldwin one-room school on the corner of Gunn and Orion Roads. The present Paint Creek United Methodist Church was built at the corner of Rochester and Buell Roads and was called St. John's Methodist Church.
In 1877, the decision was made to move this church to the more populated Goodison. It was purchased for $1.00, dismantled and hauled by horse and wagon (at a cost of $89.00) to its present location on Collins Road.
The little church had four pews on each side, was heated with two wood-burning stoves, and of course had no water or indoor plumbing. An antique pump organ provided music for hymn singing.
A furnace was added in 1946 and the annex was built in 1953 using money from the sale of the parsonage across the road. Many local and Rochester area families have ties to this historic church.
Over the years, Paint Creek UMC has shared ministers with Howarth, St. Luke’s, Mt. Vernon, and the original St. Paul’s Methodist Church on Walnut Street in Rochester. The Paint Creek UMC is an active church to this day and the old church bell is still rung every Sunday!
One of our members, Andy Knaack our trustee was awarded this plaque for all his time and commitment to the restoration of Paint Creek UMC.
Andy has volunteered his time to take care for our beautiful 1855 historical church. He has put many hours into making sure our church gets the updates it needs.
Thank you Andy! Our church looks better every year!
Copyright © 2021 Paint Creek United Methodist Church - All Rights Reserved.